Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Hi

Hi,

just a few words about me and this blog :-)
I live now in Tokyo and I'm a vegan and freegan. I've been here for almost one year and going back to Europe soon, so I hope this blog will be helpful for other fellow freegans who will come and live in Japan's capital city. I made this blog to share my experience about freeganism (and veganism too), because I didn't find any information in the Internet about that when I came to Tokyo and it took me a while to adjust to Japan's way of dumpster diving. 

Why I'm a freegan?
Because it's a way to use less resources, be more ecological, to consume less and use saved money for better things than buying things you can get for free :-) I don't think that freeganism can save the planet or solve the problems our society has, but I see it as a good way to reduce one's impact to environment and not create demand for food or other things (what you do if you buy them) while living in big city.

Why I'm a vegan?
Mainly because of ethical reasons and animal rights. I don't think we should torture and kill sentient beings, just because we like their taste, want to have fun or make our lives more convenient. We can be healthy and happy on vegan diet, so why not to do that?
Looking from freeganism perspective, despite the fact that animal products are not ethical, they are also dangerous for your health. Meat, eggs and dairy products turn bad very fast so I strongly recommend not to take them home.

Just in case you don't know what freeganism or veganism means, try to check these wikipedia entries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism

No comments: